Contact Us | (123) 456-7891

Forum

HomeHomePLC ProgrammingPLC ProgrammingGeneral PLC Que...General PLC Que...What is a PID?What is a PID?
Previous

Next
New Post
4/17/2009 1:21 PM

Would someone explain to me what the term 'PID' means?  I am just getting into industrial controls and PLC's and I've heard this term used, but I have no idea what it means.  I think it has something to do with temperature???

Thanks ahead........

New Post
4/24/2009 11:29 AM

PID stands for Proportional, Integral and Derivative control and it is a subject to itself.  In short it is an algorithim that uses a process signal such as Temperature, Pressure, Level, etc. to control a process device such as a modulating valve, Variable frequency drive, and so on. 

New Post
4/4/2017 3:18 AM

A Piping and Instrumentation Diagram/drawing (P&ID) is a detailed diagram in the process industry which shows the piping and vessels in the process flow, together with the instrumentation and control devices..

For more details concern to diagram checkout the below link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piping_and_instrumentation_diagram#/media/File:Pump_with_tank_pid_en.svg

New Post
4/5/2017 4:42 PM

There can often be confusion between the terms PID and P&ID.  You are correct concerning the definition of a P&ID; however, the question was concerning the particular control algorithm described above.  We have some past Web Classes where you can learn more on PID function blocks. 

New Post
9/13/2017 8:56 AM

Proportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) control is the most common control algorithm used in industry and has been universally accepted in industrial control. The popularity of PID controllers can be attributed partly to their robust performance in a wide range of operating conditions and partly to their functional simplicity, which allows engineers to operate them in a simple, straightforward manner. A PLC is only a special case of such devices. That is, you can have one (or more) PID running in a PLC box

For More Details: 

http://www.cetpainfotech.com/technology/plc-and-scada-training

Previous

Next
HomeHomePLC ProgrammingPLC ProgrammingGeneral PLC Que...General PLC Que...What is a PID?What is a PID?